The 4D Web Companion: Products Mentioned
This page includes links to products mentioned in The 4D Web Companion.
4D Web Application Integration Tools
These products are explained and compared in the 4D Web System Architecture and Tools section of The 4D Web Companion.
Network, Debugging and System Utilities
These tools are discussed in the Debugging and Error Handling section of The 4D Web Companion.
- A configurable AppleEvent tracking tool.
- A fast, multi-platform Web log file analysis tool.
- Capture AE
- A Control Panel for tracking AppleEvents in real-time.
- A small RealBasic application that can monitor connected users, debugging strings, and other activity on 4D Server.
- A full-featured packet capture and analysis tool.
- A real-time Windows system monitor for tracking how DLLs and other files are used.
- The IIS Resource Kit at Amazon.com
- A Windows console application for submitting HTTP requests and capturing the results, including headers.
- A Windows HTTP proxy designed to help capture and analyze HTTP requests and responses.
- A multipurpose Mac OS Internet utility. The traffic watching feature is the easiest-to-use HTTP tracing utility I know of.
- A real-time Windows system monitor for tracking Windows threads.
- ResEdit is Apple's free (and limited) resource editor. The Resexcellence site includes the program, documentation, and useful tips.
- Resorcerer is a commercial alternative to Resedit which offers additional and better features, speed, and safety.
- A Note about Mac OS Resources
- For more information about Mac OS resources and 4D, read Programming 4th Dimension, The 4D 6.5 Companion, and Fun with Resources (213K PDF).
- Apple's cross-platform multimedia system. QuickTime is required by some 4D picture commands, the QPix plug-in, and the QFree plug-in.
- The Tucows site is a great place to look for inexpensive or demo versions of software. Check here, for example, if you need any network or system utilities.
HTML and Text Editor Integration
These programs are mentioned in the Integrating 4D with Dreamweaver and GoLive chapter of The 4D Web Companion.
- The full version of AutoDoc can export 4D methods, tables, and variables to a set of linked HTML files. The demo version can export the names of methods, tables, and variables into a special XML file for import into Dreamweaver.
- Dreamweaver is a popular and full-featured Web site management and HTML development tool from Macromedia. A special plug-in from 4D adds new dialogs to Dreamweaver for editing 4D's native semi-dynamic tags. 4D method, table, and variable definitions can be exported from 4D with the 4D Object Link plug-in or AutoDoc.
- GoLive is a popular and full-featured Web site management and HTML development tool from Adobe. A special plug-in from 4D adds new dialogs to GoLive for editing 4D's native semi-dynamic tags. 4D method, table, and variable definitions can be exported from 4D with the 4D Object Link plug-in.
4D Components and Plug-Ins
These tools are mentioned throughout The 4D Web Companion.
BASh, CODEC, HTTP Deux, IMAP Deux
POP3 Deux, SMTP Deux, and TCP Deux
- The Deep Sky Technologies components eliminate the need to implement TCP/IP protocols by hand. These components make it quick and easy to add FTP, Web, and email client services to a 4D database. The 4D Internet Commands or ITK plug-ins can be used interchangeably.
- ITK (Internet ToolKit)
- ITK is a third-party plug-in that adds full support for TCP and UDP to 4D, 4D Client and 4D Server. This package is a higher-performance and more powerful alternative to the 4D Internet Commands plug-in suite included with developer editions of 4D and 4D Server.
- This free tool includes several useful features including support for regular expressions. (QuickTime required.)
- This commercial plug-in provides advanced picture manipulation features to 4D through QuickTime integration.
If you find an out-of-date link, please send an email.
Copyright © 1997-2004 Island Data/4DCompanion.com. Send comments and questions to email@example.com or info@4DCompanion.com.